The more we speak with small businesses about their marketing strategy the more the topic of content creation gets addressed. The biggest challenge small businesses seem to face when creating content is coming up with topical ideas that are valuable to their users, get Google search traffic, are actually content their target users want to read, and which are unique to their industry.
Small Businesses Can Learn From Coca Cola’s Content 2020 Strategy
There are many big brands that can be used as inspiration for a small business’s content creation strategy. The most well known and publicized strategy is that of Coca Cola. Their new content strategy (called Content 2020) has five primary parts.
- Create Liquid Content – Create content that begs to be shared whether that be an image, a video or an article.
- Ensure your Content is Linked – We are not talking about hyperlinks for SEO. “Linked Content refers to content that is relevant and connected to the companies marketing strategies, business goals, and brand.
- Create Conversations – Don’t just publish (set it and forget it)and forget about it, but instead interact with your audience and tribe.
- Dynamic Story Telling – This means you need to allow the story and content to evolve as you interact and converse with your customers.
- Be Brave and Creative – Part of the new Coca Cola content strategy is applying a 70/20/10 principle; 70% should be low risk content, 20% should innovate off what works, 10% of your content marketing is high risk ideas that may cause some industry waves.
All advertisers need a lot more content so that they can keep the engagement with consumers fresh and relevant, because of the 24/7 connectivity. If you’re going to be successful around the world, you have to have fat and fertile ideas at the core. – Jonathan Mildenhall, Coca-Cola’s VP Global Advertising Strategy and Creative Excellence
Blog Post Ideas For Small Business Blogs
Knowing that great content drives business growth, sales strategies, and helps humanize businesses, below you will find blog post ideas for your small business blog to build your small business brand.
- Share the success story or testimonial of one of your customers.
- Outline what marketing strategies didn’t work for your business and how you may change the strategy in the future.
- Compile a list of the best tools ,apps or software for business owners in your industry or in a related industry.
- Answer a set of the most frequently asked questions you receive in your business.
- Record a video (or video series) demonstrating how to do something.
- Write about what made you want to become a small business owner.
- Provide a free template, checklist, or other downloadable content that would help your users.
- Create a DIY, Safety, or informational poster for your industry.
- Showcase one of your products and how it can be used differently than intended.
- Explain a process relevant in your industry in a step-by-step post.
- Interview an employee.
- Interview and showcase a newly hired employee
- Profile and interview a customer.
- Write a “what not to do” or “biggest mistakes” post.
- Share a personal inspirational story.
- Provide a behind-the-scenes look of your business.
- Create a Local Guide to Your City or Town
- Give an update on what’s happening in your company over the next few months.
- Curate popular content in your niche.
- Write a recap of an event you attended.
- Put together a gif-filled post
- Compile a gift guide – make sure you include products you don’t sell too.
- Showcase the most creative way someone has used your product
- Post a list of famous quotes that inspired you.
- Interview an influential person in your industry.
- Write out a list of FAQs.
- Compile a list of the most popular posts on your blog.
- Compile a list of useful and relevant posts on other related blogs.
- Review a product, book or event that your readers care about.
- Go off-topic and share something unrelated to the usual content you post.
- Run a contest or host a giveaway.
- Poll your readers on what they want to see more or less of, then use the feedback for future posts.
- List job openings you are currently trying to fill in your business.
- Highlight your favorite local charity.
- Compile a list of books that have helped you in your business journey.
- Promote an event your business is sponsoring.
- Share the history of your business in a storytelling format.
- Post a list of your own business goals for the year.
- Compile a list of the top influencers in your niche.
- Create an infographic that covers a topic often discussed in your industry.
- Invite your readers to submit a guest post on your blog.
- Post a list of the most useful online resources for your colleagues or customers.
Remember content creation success relies heavily on creating great content, and is not about creating the same basic content that can be found everywhere online. Make sure you are going above and beyond to create great pieces of content your audience really wants to read.
Thanks for reading "42 Blog Post and Content Ideas for Your Small Business Blog", by the Linchpin Team in Chicago, Raleigh, and Wake Forest.